Watch Lola talk about Summer Fruits on Channel Ten’s The Circle.
Lola explains on 3AW Afternoons what health properties differentiate for summer fruits and why we need to include them in our diets at this time of year! Plus, all the goodies that are contained in them. Audio clip to come…
– berries: antioxidants, great for protecting the heart, great way to stop wrinkles forming too. Note, these guys are heavily sprayed so go organic when you can and if not, then always give them a quick wash – but be sure not to water log them!
- stone fruit: plums, apricots, nectarines, peaches – these guys are full of goodies, and most of the health benefits are in the skin, the brighter the skin the better! The are also a great source of fibre so they’ll help to keep you regular!
– pineapple: great source of bromelaine which helps you to digest your meal better, also powerful anti-inflammaorty effect on the body!
– mango: fibre and antioxidants!
COOKING TIP: try throwing through berries or cut up some stone fruit and though it through your next salad. adds a whole new dimension!
What are your favourite Summer Fruits?!
See Lola’s Recipe for a delicious Berry Soup!
Listen to Lola’s segment from 3AW’s The Weekend Break
This time of year we all love to dream up resolutions on relationships, career, finances and health. I’ve put together my top tips to sticking to your New Years Resolutions!
Set Up A Frame-Work:
1. Set clear goals (if it’s to be healthier… write down: lose 5kgs, have clearer skin, do more exercise, eat more fruit and vegetables)
2. Suit them to the type of person you are: Is it cold turkey? Is it more gradual? Do you need to be rewarded once a week?
3. Time-based! If your resolution is to do more exercise… after this segment is done, call your friend, make a time to play tennis, go swimming or go for a walk… make the date and time and stick to it!
4. Write your framework down. Your goals and timeline. Place where you can remind yourself day-to-day: the fridge or on a mirror
5. Reward yourself! Pat yourself on the back if you’re kicking your goals… buy yourself a treat! You should be proud of your achievements.
Being healthier… Lola’s easy home-made 2 week detox!
1. Swap white for brown: pasta, breads… there are heaps of incredible recipes out there (LolaBerry.com!) ingredients are at your supermarket
2. Apple cider vinegar… a shot in the morning or on your salads as a dressing… potent alkalizer / Lemon Juice in warm water
3. Water! Lots of it… clean out the system… buy a big bottle and refill. If you have it on your desk you’ll be more likely to drink it.
4. Make it fun… explore new recipes… have a dinner party… don’t binge on the dreaded “day 3″ of the detox…
5. Remember… if you stuff up, just jump back on the wagon. Don’t be too hard on yourself
6. It takes 14 days to change your taste-buds and make your actions a habit!
Smart – be smart about what your resolutions are about
Specific – be detailed about what it is that you want
Measureable – can you measure the success of your resolution?
Achievable – write a list of the tools you need to achieve your goals
Realistic – losing 50kgs won’t happen over night… make it suit the person you are
Timebased – having a time line will
And remember, these resolution tips don’t have to only apply for the start of the New Year, they can be for anytime you begin a new resolution!
What are your best tips to sticking to your goals? The biggest the list we can compile, the better!
Shredding Post-Xmas Kilos!
1. Pull high allergen foods out of the diet:
These are the most common things people react to and they cause fluid retention. When we pull these guys out you’ll drop that extra weight!
2. Water, water, water!
– will help stimulate organs of elimination
– will make you feel full, especially if you’ve over-stretched your tummy over the festive week!
3. Liver support:
– milk thistle tea
– lemon juice
– dandelion root tea
– At the end of the day it all comes down to calories going in versus calories being burnt off. Doing a bit more exercise will help to burn off the extra calories you’ve consumed. Make it fun, make it social – organise to meet up with friends for exercises and mix it up!
It may be harder than I’m making it sound. So stay strong and focused and you will get the results you’re after!
Lola had a chat with John Blackman on 3AW Afternoons… check out to see what Aussie Superfoods make the list!
Every Sunday morning on MIX FM listen to Lola and host Marni T on ‘Body + Soul’.
LISTEN: How to do an easy detox!
LISTEN: Do celebrity diets work?
LISTEN: Imposter Health Foods!
MIX FM in your city:
Sydney – 106.5 FM
Melbourne – 101.1 FM
Brisbane – 97.3 FM
Adelaide 102.3 FM
Janelle’s Weight Loss Journey
Mix 101.1 and Lola have come together to help a listener achieve her weightloss journey. Each week over the next 12 weeks Lola will be developing an easy-to-use food plan to help Janelle and all interested in achieving weightloss.
Watch videos from MIX website
Download Lola’s Nutritional Plan – Week 1
In 2011 Chadstone Food Festival opens with Lola Berry!
Photos to come…!
How to Stop a Binge!
We’ve all been there, you’ll find you’ve been good all week and it’s gets to 3:30 one afternoon and you’ll fall off the band-wagon!
Here’s a few trick to stop of make a binge not so nasty:
If it’s chocolate you’re craving, go for dark, or if dark simply wont surfice go for your favourite but have it with nuts. Nuts help to lower the glycemic index so you won’t get such a sugar rush and slump, plus it will decrease the amount of insulin your body it needs to make for the hit of sugar, so you wont gain weight.
Healthy snack ideas:
– Dark choc goji berries (available at your local health store)
– Macadamia nuts (Aussie nut)
– Popcorn with chili salt
– Popcorn with cinnamon and rapadura (available at your local health store)
If it’s sweet things your craving, it can be a sign that serotonin is low, so try having more protein in your diet to stop the cravings: eggs, lean meat, fish, chicken, nuts and seeds.
Breakfast: make it big and don’t skip it!! It’s the key player when it comes to kick-starting your metabolism. You’ll find when you have a nutrient dense filling brekkie you’ll be less inclined to binge! Some ideas to tey out include:
– Omelette with mushrooms
– Bircher muesli with grated nashi pear and raspberries
– Big Breakfast: eggs, tomatoes, spinach, mushies on rye sourdough bread!
– Porridge with oat milk!
Key message: a treat is fine, it’s just about finding the right tricks and getting a balance. Don’t feel guilty when you treat yourself, we all deserve a treat every now and then!